Creatine and headaches?

Do any of you get headaches from creatine? I take mine at night and I am waking up with headaches almost every day. I hope it is the creatine, as I know it could be a symptom of something serious! Any other ideas?

Kevin Haylow's picture

Creatine and headaches?

You could be dehydrated. Drink more water. LOTS

Creatine and headaches?

Awesome question man. first off I used to have the same problem. the first creatine I took was pharmacutical grade creatine monohydrate, this thing gave me a SPLITTING headache. then I tried the EAS brand this also hurt something fierce. well anyways I tried two more brands (I think one was muscletech at the time) and nothing changed. I stuck to it for a good while for some reason that is beyond me, but it was not even worth the headaches for the little reward that it gave. wich was nothing exept slightly bigger softer looking muscles.

Then I stopped by a GNC and the owner (who I knew) asked "what? you are not buying any creatine?"
ME: no it gives me some awful headaches
OWNER: mmmm...this is rare, that only happens to very few individuals, this is because your body is working so good, its very clean. here.....(goes and gets some weird GNC brand orange flavored creatine monohydrate drink mix) here take this you can have it. try it, this will not give you headaches.
ME: ok I'll let you known (in my head: yeah right this dude is just trying to sell me something I dont need.)

well It did not give me headaches, who knows if it was even quality creatine in there. but I stopped taking it anyways. The creatine did not increase my intensity, lifts, endurance. it did make me bigger but it was a soft watery look, not nice. heavy lifting did more for me than any creatine ever did. I also dont take any protein powder anymore, regular eggs work much better. infact I see no difference in growth with 150gm than with 300gm of protein, but I do get more constatpated.

oh and I did take it, alone, with different juices, with a dextrose mix (or so the product claimed), to no avail. I dont think it could have been water defecit because I was drinking 8oz of water every hour on the hour (this something most people trying to put on weight neglect). also drinking a litter of water is my first step to get rid of a headache, so this was no water defecit problem.

MY ADVISE: drop the creatine if it gives you headaches, GLUTAMINE, AMINO ACIDS, VITAMINS, AND GLUCOSAMINE CHONDROITIN supplements are much more better, doctor hatfield has a killer one on this site. you can try to look for other brands to see if it helps, the GNC brand did not hurt me.

PS by any chance are you naturally a thin or skinny individual?

Kevin Haylow's picture

Creatine and headaches?

Quote:
Then I stopped by a GNC and the owner (who I knew) asked "what? you are not buying any creatine?"
ME: no it gives me some awful headaches
OWNER: mmmm...this is rare, that only happens to very few individuals, this is because your body is working so good, its very clean.

Hmmmm ! I'd like to hear Todd's opinion on this. I just don't buy the" your body is working so good" crap.

Try a brand that has Creapure, like ProLab.

I'm a natrually thin guy and have no probs with ProLab Creatine.

Creatine and headaches?

Steve, why not take it in the morning with your protein shake? Remember, it's STORED! There is no compelling reason to take it just before workouts or at night.

Try the ProPower cratine on this site!

Kevin Haylow's picture

Creatine and headaches?

My opologies, Doc's creatine would be even better. :oops:

Creatine and headaches?

Yes, dehydration. Drinks lots of water and as Doc says, take it at another time.

Todd Wilson's picture

Creatine and headaches?

There's no physiological basis to assume that creatine is causing headaches.

Could be a number of things, but you're simply associating it with creatine. You may have an allergy to the juice you mix it with.

Also, If you're waking up with headaches, the first thing I would suspect would be blood pressure. What's you're heart rate before rising? If you suffer from sleep apnea your heart rate could be higher and when you stand up, because of you're blood pressure, this may be causing the headaches.

Basically, look at other possibilities. Morning headaches, from creatine at night just doesn't make sense. Stop supplementing with creatine and continue as normal and you will probably still expierience them as frequently.

On the 1% chance that it is the creatine, then it probably has gross impurities in it and prbably comes from China or Canada. Make sure your creatine is German made! All it takes is a phone call to the company.

Creatine and headaches?

Todd Wilson wrote:
.....then it probably has gross impurities in it and prbably comes from China or Canada.....

my thoughts exactly!

Quote:
I just don't buy the" your body is working so good" crap.

neither did I.

Creatine and headaches?

When taking GNC Mega Men Multi's I had crappy headaches quite frequently, went on and off several times and looked back and only got them when I was taking those pills, otherwise very rarely get headaches...dunno...

jwbruce's picture

Creatine and headaches?

Quote:
On the 1% chance that it is the creatine, then it probably has gross impurities in it and prbably comes from China or Canada. Make sure your creatine is German made! All it takes is a phone call to the company.

yeah who knows what them canucks are doing with your creatine. those hosers should stick to selling maple syrup eh!

ok but seriously, is there a 'best' time to take creatine? normally i have been taking it on the days i work out about 30 minutes after i eat and about 30-45 minutes before i work out ... mixed with grape juice.

is this OK? thanks.

jamie

Creatine and headaches?

Dr. Squat wrote:
Steve, why not take it in the morning with your protein shake? Remember, it's STORED! There is no compelling reason to take it just before workouts or at night.

...Answering Jwbruce

jwbruce's picture

Creatine and headaches?

Graham wrote:
Dr. Squat wrote:
Steve, why not take it in the morning with your protein shake? Remember, it's STORED! There is no compelling reason to take it just before workouts or at night.

...Answering Jwbruce

thanks! i should have read that the first time thru ... but its friday so the brain aint working too well today heheh Eye-wink

and grape juice is good to use to mix creatine?

thanks.

jamie

Kevin Haylow's picture

Creatine and headaches?

Quote:
yeah who knows what them canucks are doing with your creatine. those hosers should stick to selling maple syrup eh!

We don't spend much time on our Creatine eH ! that's cause we're to busy making great HOCKEY PLAYERS ! Laughing out loud

jwbruce's picture

Creatine and headaches?

Kevin Haylow wrote:
Quote:
yeah who knows what them canucks are doing with your creatine. those hosers should stick to selling maple syrup eh!

We don't spend much time on our Creatine eH ! that's cause we're to busy making great HOCKEY PLAYERS ! Laughing out loud

Laughing out loud and we also got the NBA MVP 2 years running eh!

Kevin Haylow's picture

Creatine and headaches?

Cool Laughing out loud Eye-wink

Creatine and headaches?

Matt Brouse wrote:
When taking GNC Mega Men Multi's I had crappy headaches quite frequently, went on and off several times and looked back and only got them when I was taking those pills, otherwise very rarely get headaches...dunno...

Same here man. I even had the knock off from natures valley too. I had to take it in small doses throughout the day, but sometimes even then.